Sunday, October 09, 2005

Some people can knit ... and tomato *June Whitfield*

This Sunday was another lovely sunny day. I stayed in, however, to study. I was also waiting for Fedors Skype, as he was visiting my brother today. I finally got skyped at the end of the afternoon and talked to Fedor (and Lars, Rachel and Leah)... Very nice. For the rest, I didn't do much today.
However, I will use this opportunity to clarify what I mean if I say Aperitivo. Quite a few people have MSNd/emailed/said to me this weekend I partied so much, and I finally understood where the confusion comes from (because I have only been out twice in the past 5 weeks: not really big partying). It is the concept of the Aperitivo. The Aperitivo is an Italian custom of a bit of eating and a bit of drinking in the early evening, before going out for dinner around 10 or 11pm. In Milan, the concept of the Aperitivo is interpreted differently though. Here it means that you can go to a bar (until 10pm mostly) and if you order a drink (a beer or cocktail) for about 5-7 euros, you get to eat for free. In fact, this is the cheapest food you can get in Milan. Going to the supermarket will cost you more than that... Even without a cocktail! So when I say I go to an Aperitivo, it just means I grab a bite to eat.
Well, this has been quite enough again for today. I shall now go to bed to be up and running again tomorrow!
ciao, OJ

No comments: