Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A Jacobian matrix is totally different from a Jacobian-Matrix. Busy man, that Jacobi...

This morning, I managed to get an early start, leaving for Uni at around nine. This was quite pleasant, because I was actually able to get some work done today. Of course I did have to go to two classes in Numerical Methods for Macroeconomics today (shoot me now, please... PLEASE), but I survived them.
I wonder, however, whether I will survive my confrontation with the PhD director. Officially, I had to hand in my paperwork in July. I got a 2-month extension until the 15 of September. When I still didnt have everything ready, I got a final extension, but he really really wants everything to be done by the 14th... aka. This Friday!!! Of course, my paperwork IS ready, but I just seem to be unable to get hold of it. The Consulate in Amsterdam has sent it for the second time, last week, but it hasnt arrived. Unfortunately, the Consulate has also lost its ability to read email. So they do not respond to me (and I know they dont answer the phone either), and I dont know where my diploma is!!!! This is starting to PISS ME OFF!!! I think I will actually ask the PhD director to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rome, to see if they are able to kick someone's ass... I hope so, anyway!
On a wholly other subject, I have discovered another significant difference between Italians and e.g. the Dutch. The Italians do not appear to like salty snacks! In a random supermarket (not so big), sweet snacks occupy about 10-20% of the space. This is quite a bit more than in Holland. Salty snacks (crisps, nuts) take up about 1% of the space. In fact, my normal supermarket (which is relatively well-stocked: they have at least 40 kinds of pasta) has 1 brand of crisps, in 3 flavours. No nuts, no other salty snacks. I reckon this is weird.
ciao, OJ

No comments: