Sunday, September 18, 2005

A realisation

Whenever I plan to go to Como, the weather turns nasty. So I now decide never to go to Como... As you can guess, today had rain all day long. In a way this was good, because I was slightly hungover from last night. So all I did was going to the market. I got some fruit and veg there and went home again in the rain. Tonight, we met with a group, to go out for Aperitivo. Afterwards, Massilimiano was going to take us to a bar where they have "cheap" beer (3 euros). Once we got there, finally: it was closed. So we went to the closest bar and had some more to drink overthere. Finally, we had to hurry to make it to the last metro. It was definitely a fun night again.
Today, however, I realised that I always said to people that Milano was actually cheap, except for living expenses. I thought about this quite well, especially on the market and realised: this is just not true. Milano is simply bloody expensive. I mean, even the supermarkets are about twice as expensive as in the Netherlands. A liter of the cheapest juice (with only 10% fruit) will set you back 1.30 euros, isnt that ridiculous? Spirits are cheaper than in Holland, the wines are better (but the same price), the olives are better (but marginally more expensive) and the rest is just ridiculously expensive. The cheapest butter I could find today was 1.80euros (this is 0.49eur in NL). Olive oil is cheaper, thats one.
Anyways, my point is just that I have always been wrong when I said Milano was actually cheap, if you do not take into account the rent. The only thing that is structurally cheap is public transport...
ciao, OJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How troubling that realisation should have been for you, a true believer of the permanent income hypothesis. Now, you'd have to economise on your real consumption or find a bank which follows your spending theories even more than Dutch banks did (and the abnamroisation of Italy doesn't make that seem likely to happen anymore).

By the way, if you haven't received my postcard yet, you'd better ask the people who 'own' the other zipcode. That would surely be a nice addition to the sightseeing tour Jorryt and Esther so carefully prepared.