Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mr. Smalltables and others...

Today, I had my first real day at the University. In fact, it only included one real class, but there were 4 presentations for different fields that are being taught at Bocconi University. It was very interesting to hear about it. I was impressed with the level, because on the basis of the course names and outlines, it didnt seem too good... But now I thinkg it will be very good. One thing that definitely didnt leave a lasting impression was the English level of the teachers: it was really really bad!!! Maybe one spoke quite good english, but most teachers required real concentration, just to be able to undestand what the hell they are saying!!! This is maybe something to get used to...
The students were finally all here today, even though we met last night with most of them already... It turns out there are only 14/15 in the PhD programme (in fact, I was accepted as nr.3, but the nrs.1+2 didnt actually come here, so I got the highest score on all the accepted students). Of these 14/15, there is on from NL (me), one guy from Germany, one girl from Turkey, a guy from China, a girl from Brazil and "special student" from Hungary. So thats quite good already. But even nearly all the Italians have done, at least, their masters abroad. Many (4) in Barcelona, but also in London and other places. So it is a very diverse group here. The good thing is, that the Italian students are able to teach Italian to us, and also to translate the necessary things... Tomorrow, Silvia will take us to the Public Transportation Office to help us get a public transport card. Also, she is trying to help me to get the medical insurance.
The Medicare is an interesting joke in itself... In Italy, they say I cannot get it, because I am not an Italian citizen, but I will be able to get it (as an equivalent), if I show I am insured in Holland. In Holland, however, I obviously cant get Medicare/Ziekenfonds, because I do not pay taxes. Getting private Health cover in Holland, while living in Italy costs 250 euros per month. At the same time, I pay for the Medicare and everyting in Italy, because it simply part of the taxation system. I am now trying to convince the responsible authorities that I am really an Italian resident: I am definitely not a Dutch resident, so either I am a non-resident, or I am an Italian resident, which is exactly what I want to be, because it would enable me to get Medicare. It simply sucks.
Anyways, with that frustration out of the way, I can simply tell you that today, the weather was absolutely amazing, and I spent a lot of time in the Sun today... My flatmate Meghan had a friend over and we had a really great time together today. Lots of food and wine on the terrace: molto, molto bene!!!
ciao, OJ
PS I am really working on my Italian: today I learned plurals, and small/large objects, as well as colours. I now know that the very famous (in the field) Professor Tabellini is called Mr. Small-tables

No comments: