Monday, September 12, 2005

Parlo piccolo Italianio

Yesterday, I wanted to go to Como, because I didnt have anything else to do and seemed like a SUnday-thing to do. But the weather was absolutely terrible, so instead I stayed inside all day and did virtually nothing...
Today, however, I went to the Real Social Security Office. THis was quite challenging, because it turned out to be somewhere nearly outside Milano in a random building where no-one spoke any english. But I managed, so that was good. After that I went to find some Xenos-like shops, which was difficult but I did instead found a 50-cent-discount shop where I bought some cheap junk.
In between and during these things I started reading "Italie op maandag" by Marjon Van Rooyen: an absolutely hilarious account of how the Italians handle the corruption, the maffia and the disorganisation. Its definitely a book one should have read.
Tonight, we met with the PhD students again, except that more people showed up this time. In total, there was 10 of us today, and we had a lot of fun. We went out for aperitivo (aka you buy a cocktail for 5 euros, and can then use the buffet for free...). There are some really cool people in the PhD!!! I am very excited and very happy to have met these people. Not quite as many foreigners as I had hoped, although even the Italians have all done their Masters abroad... Anyways, tomorrow at 9, the whole thing starts. So I will go to sleep now, so I can be fresh for tomorrow.
ciao, OJ

No comments: