Thursday, March 02, 2006

3rd century Gnosticism

Well, after a good day of studying, I came home quite early, because I wanted to eat something, before going to a bar to watch football (Italy-Germany: 4-1). But, when I arrived home, there turned out to be a domestic emergency. A one-against-the-rest emergency where the "one" complains that we should all clean more. Of course, this is a reasonable request. However, not if it the request is made in a threatening letter (threatening with all hell breaking loose, strangely enough) and a number of very strong insults. So, while the "one" was not here, the other flatmates have discussed about the letter and the consequences. For me, it simply means that I will limit my communication with this "one" to bare necessities and a zero-tolerance for dishes and noise... We will see who is the biggest nuisance (mind you, I am hardly ever home). After all this stress, I actually watched the match at home.
Today, I went to Uni at 8.30 and came home at 23.00. I did some effective studying. And I read and reviewed the first 26 pages of Fedor's thesis. I feel like I now know everything about the role of Eve in third-century Gnosticism... This is not the case, because I still have another 36 pages to go! And considering that the first 26 pages took me about 6 hours, this means I have a fair bit to do still... But, as my exams start on Monday, I also wanted to get some studying done! So, when I came home, I once again cut my hair.
I know it was only recently that I did that, but I bought a professional shaver yesterday and I wanted to try it out... Well, considering that the investment (for the electronic shaving-thing, with different pieces to it, plus scissors and a comb) was only 6 euros, I guess it was a great deal!!!
Ciao,
OJ

4 comments:

xxxxxxx said...

Why do you need that many pages to describe something easy?!?!

See, read the bible. Adam was bored and said to God (hypothesis) "dude, I am bored" and then this alledged God made the manwife (Dutch: mannin) which came to be known as Eve. Then this Eve-creature put her nose into other people's stuff for she was a female after all. She ate the apple, and alledged God gave all women pain when giving birth.

Now since all women feel pain, since Adam wasn't a surgeon and there were no other people to operate on him for the production of Eve and since snakes don't have feet, it is obvious that God exists.

How much more of gnostic reasoning do you need?

Marieke said...

Ok, obviously I have to clear up a few things.
First of all, in paradise no such thing as boredom exists, for everything is good, therefore Adam couldn't have feel bored. It wasn't HIS idea to have a wife.
Second: the bible doesn't speak of an apple, just of fruit. Common mistake, due to all the children's bibles, I believe.
Third: there were no other people for Eve to put her nose in their stuff.

:-D

xxxxxxx said...

ad 1 - yeah, that puzzled me too. Why on earth would you desire womenkind? Indeed, I checked, alledged God decided to create Eve.

ad 2 - I don't care whether it was an apple, or just fruit. Eve couln't resist eating it and seduced Adam to do the same. Consequently, the gnosticist may be happy to observe women in pain while giving birth and snakes without feet (signals of alledged Gods' existence)

ad 3 - and even when there are no other people to bother, Eve finds someone (alledged God, that is).

I still don't see why this argument - even with your remarks - should take up to sixty pages.

Anonymous said...

The oven looks great. The house is squeeky clean. I regret not having written the letter much earlier. The after-shock would have been dissipated by now and dialogue would have resumed. As for zero-tolerance, yes that is the correct solution, and necessary to keep this trend up.

Someone has to be the d-ck to make things change. I took it on myself to be the one. I have to say, apart from inter-personal relationships, it's really looking good, so if you want to bear a grudge for much longer i understand fully. Just want to let you know that i appreciate the collective effort.

I write through the blog because the situation is still too premature for outspoken sympathy. Who wants to listen to the a-hole voice his appreciation today? Nobody.

I've been through similar or worse situations before. I know what I was getting into, and I know what was at stake. I have to say though that it feels a little lonely, but it's clean. So to me, the positive outcome outweighs the negative.

Of course I have remorse for the rashness of my actions. Of course i could have been more understanding, use more tact, weigh my words etc. These things ran through my mind ever since i stuck the letter up for everyone to see. But the bomb has detonated, the damage is done, and the wounds must mend. Then it'll be time to move on. However long that takes is for all parties to decide on their own.

In any case, I understand the situation, appreciate the changes, and accept the responsiblity of my role in this kerfafl. So to end with a trace of dignity, I'm profoundly sorry if it hurt, and I am very thankful it worked.

tah...