Saturday, June 10, 2006

Hospital: oh fuck

Tuesday and Wednesday, Fedor and I spent a lot of time together, studying, relaxing, etc. This was, as always, very nice.
Thursday came the moment of truth, however. I had to go to the hospital for the operation. I checked in at 7.30AM and spent the morning reading. Because it was the same as for the pre-op examination: first come, first serve, and I was the third and last in my room to arrive. Finally, it was my turn, I received my (local) anasthaesia and the operation got underway. However, the first strang thing was that despite the anaesthesia, I did have a lot of pain of the operation. Next thing is a confused doctor saying he cannot find evidence of a previous Hernia (except for the huge scar). In addition to that, the operation lasted much longer than expected. By the time I got back to my room, the other people in the room were practically ready to go: I found this very weird, because I was in a lot of pain, still.
The explanation for it arrived together with the doctor. I turned out to have had a double Inguinal Hernia (both on the right), which explains why I have been suffering from it so much the past month and is also rather rare. Goddammit, why can I never just have a simple operation??? At the end of the afternoon, the nurses decided that I should go home anyway (crazy decision, because I was in a lot of pain, despite all the pain meds). So I did, and I got home "safely". Friday morning, I went to see the surgeon again in the hospital, but he couldnt do much. He increased my pain medication dose, and redressed the wound. Finally, he sent me home again. I will go and see him again on Monday.
This morning, Fedor went back. This is obviously inconvenient, because I am unable to do anything more than walking to the bathroom and back (and even that is like HELL). So I am counting on my flatmates from now on, because I cant do anything at all. Needless to say, I am not happy.
Ciao,
OJ

2 comments:

Esther said...

So sorry to read you have so much pain, hope you feel better soon! Big hug

xxxxxxx said...

My goodness. But is the pain caused by the surgery or because the original cause has not yet been removed (my guess: they don't know)? Seems like this surgery didn't do much good to you.

My wishes are obvious, but anyway: get well soon. And sue them afterwards!