Friday, January 13, 2006

Italy... The bad side.

Today, I was strongly reminded of two reasons why I dont like Italy (I do like Italy, but there are some things which just suck). One major reason and one minor. I will start with the minor reason, because it is stupid and I will let the anger boil up for another while, before discussing the major one.
This afternoon, I tried to go shopping, because I really, really, really need a new pair of jeans. But it was simply impossible! Italians have such incredibly bad taste in jeans... There isnt a single pair of normal jeans to be gotten here. They are all filled with holes and random scratch marks and the crotch is always between your knees. Normal-fitting jeans are impossible to get!!!
Right, this was something I had noticed before and I will get over it. My major reaon for hating Italy (Italians) today is the following: This morning, I had a very difficult exam in Game Theory (the most difficult exam offered in the PhD, it is said to be... I dont know). I started by making a sketch of the exercises I was able to do (4 out of 6) and then went on to write them down properly. After 3 hours, the exam finished and I had written down 3 questions (our of 6). I started on the fourth one, but obviously couldnt finish it, so I handed in my exam. After waiting outside for a while, together with the majority of the class (4 people), it appears that the 2 students left in the class (Italians) are allowed to simply continue writing. In fact, they are given 25 minutes extra (and guess what? It took me 60 minutes to write out 3 exercises, guess what I could have done in another 25 minutes?). After the 25 minutes, one of us actually went in to ask the Teaching Assistant to stop this, because we feel treated unfairly (Italians use relative grading, so your result strongly depends on the results of others).... My own estimations say I have about 80 our of 180 points now (probably not enough to pass) and I would have had 110 out of 180 if I had 20 minutes extra. This would probably be enough to pass. I explained the TA why I was pissed off about it, but his response was "Oh, I will take it into account when I check the exams". Yeah right! The Italians in this course, who happen to be his friends (and girls), and he will correct for the extra work they did in the extra time they had. That is simply not true.
One of the people who felt treated unfairly has already complained to the professor of the course, and of course I will do the same if I fail (which I probably will).

Now that I am writing this down, it seems not so important. But passing every exam is very, very important and the way we were treated today is just so WRONG... I simply pisses me off completely and ruined the rest of the day. This may also have had something to do with the fact that I went to Uni at 7.30 this morning (only to find that my breakfast, which I had accidently left at Uni last night, was behind a mysteriously locked door).
OJ IS NOT HAPPY
But, on the bright side, finally: Tomorrow morning I will visit Bergamo, if the weather is good. And considering the fact that we have had Sun and clear skies for about 3 weeks, it probably will be good. And in the afternoon, I am flying to Newcastle, to see my friends Matt (from Coventry, UK) and Jo (from Auckland, NZ). They are my former flatmates from Sydney and we havent been together with the 3 of us since then, so it will be so much fun!!! I will return Monday evening to Milano, so you will probably hear of me then!
ciao,
OJ
PS Damn, that was a long post. But I really am fucking frustrated!

4 comments:

ROENTGEN said...

I know what u mean :-) viva la fraternita!
It's funny that mostly of finest fashion is made in Italy while most italians have a very bad taste in fashion. Just look at them with their hoselike feather wests and jackets and their all favorite belt bag thingo *eeew* ... and about the jeans: did u know that diesel is an italian brand? Hilarious! :-D

Anonymous said...

Hey OJ,

You could always follow the Milano fashion...... start wearing a polarbear.... or a leopard :D

Jorryt

xxxxxxx said...

I can't comment on fashion, just not my piece of cake. But I would advice you to complain BEFORE you receive the grade. It seems more honest to me (less of an action which seems solely aimed to improve your grade, at least).

I graded Bedrijfskunde problem statements this weekend. You also have to feel sorry for us TAs. Your work sometimes simply sucks and it's better if there's not much of it.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY Bday OJ!!!!!!! (old man!!)