Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen (with Joel Grey's accent from Cabaret, please)

I have discovered something today. Bommen Berend aka Gronings Ontzet aka Groningen Liberated Celebration has been moved...

Ok, I realise I should explain this a bit further: August 28 is the local Liberation Day in Groningen. And this turns out to be on Sunday. The powers that be have decided, however, that this is not an appropriate day for it (I think the argument is related to hangovers on Monday and not so much related to any sort of religious issue people may have) and it has thus been moved to Saturday. Now, personally I couldn't care less. I do not really intend to join in on the celebrations anyway. It is simply the principle of it which I find shocking. It's like saying: "Ladies and gentlemen, christmas has been moved to a more appropriate date: April 19". Or saying "I haven't really got time Janury 1st, could New Year be moved a few days...?". It is bloody insane. I disagree. I am not happy. I do not like it. And it means that Joost can't come to my party on Friday, because the pre-Bommen Berend is a really busy nite in the bars...

And by the way, nobody seems to know who moved Bommen Berend. Powers that be: please step forward...
OJ

No comments: