Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Final rant about Faculty of Economics

Before I forget, anyone who expected to receive a postcard from Scotland, I am very sorry, but I forgot to take my addressbook and was thus not able to send any postcards. My apologies...
My final rant about the Faculty of Economics in Groningen concerns the fact that, once again, my generation of Top Master students has been fucked. The first time we got fucked due to a mix-up at the Faculty which allowed us to enter straight from the (Dutch) Doctoral programme into the Master programme. They forgot to inform us that we should first be enrolled as Bachelor students, if we wanted to receive a Bachelor degree. What happened now is that we did not get a Bachelor degree, and our CVs show a 3-year gap during which we followed some education but did not actually finish anything. After that, it turned out that, contrary to our beliefs, we were not going to receive an MPhil degree (Master of Philosophy) as is normal for 2-year Master programmes at ALL other Dutch Universities. Instead we will simply receive an MSc, which will thus be the same as a 1-year programme. Had we known this in advance, the choice of staying in Groningen may have been different. Now the final act of Malevolence has been the suggestion that someone would take care of all our graduation-related paperwork. Having informed after it multiple times, we were only told that everything would be OK... Of course, we were silly enough to believe this and the result is now that it has been difficult to receive my actual degree in time (bureaucracy, bureaucracy), but I will not have an awards ceremony: oopsy....
So now I will not have the degree I want (BSc), I will have a degree I do not want (MSc) and I will get that degree by picking it up from the information desk!!! The conclusion thus is: DO NOT STUDY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF GRONINGEN. The bloody mess they create with their silly rules and their awful bureacracy is not worth it. Just go somewhere, where things have been arranged properly...
ciao, OJ
PS I am so pissed off...

No comments: