Tuesday, March 17, 2009

SanFran for a day

Well, that was a bit of a crazy weekend. On Friday, I had to get up very early in order to catch my flight to Amsterdam and then on to San Francisco. It was my first KLM flight ever and it was pretty cool: quite strange to get to speak Dutch to stewardesses all the time... But some good movies (Slumdog was pretty ok, but I was not totally overwhelmed), plenty of drinks and no problem with vegetarian food. Oh and the best of all: a return flight Milan-SF for 377 euros....

Anyway, when I got there, I headed to my hotel and dropped off my stuff, before going to see Agnieszka and Kuba, my friends who live in San Francisco. Their oldest, Julia, was very excited to see me (I stayed with them for a few days when I was there in January), and I got to take a peek at their newborn Robert. And we got to talk a bit, until the moment that the time difference caught up with me and I just wanted to pass out. The next morning, I got up early to go to my conference (seriously, an 8AM starting time for a conference on Saturday is NOT NORMAL, is it???) at San Francisco Statue University. The conference was very interesting, with many interesting topics, and some amazing speakers. All in all, it was totally worth the travelling time. In the evening, I just about managed to visit a nice sushi restaurant before passing out again at early o'clock... Sunday I had a stroll around the city and managed to finally buy the last missing part of Asimov's Foundation series (The Second Foundation has been a goal of mine at bookshops for about 5 years already). After my little walk, i went back to the Airport and flew back to Milano. yes, it was a crazily short visit, but who cares: it was useful and I don't pay for it!

Today I went back to work, but I was still a bit tired, so not overly productive. I managed to clean up my office, so it will be easier for me to move my stuff back to home now (I normally live under a mountain of papers: not anymore!). It'll also help to have a clean office when I have my German class tomorrow (Fedor's present for xmas was a mini-course in a language-of-my-choosing), so that is pretty cool. Talking about Germany, I had found a place to live for the first month, but something went horribly wrong (in other words: the guy turned out to be completely nuts, as certified by my token German friend Felix) and now I don't have a flat anymore. Anyway, it won't be too difficult to find something, I think...

Oh, and for any Facebook users out there: goddammit, the new new Facebook sucks, doesn't it? Let's hope they Facebook engineers start using their brains and either change it back or enable us to make some individualised changes (like blocking those stupid fcking quizzes from popping up in the newsfeed).

Ciao,
OJ

No comments: