Monday, January 15, 2007

Step into...

I have had some good news the past week. I have confiscated an office that was left empty by a departing visiting student, so I finally have my own office. Even better, it is (for now) even a private office: an amazing luxury in a space-starved University (they say the new building will be finished in August, but I don't believe them). Furthermore, I have finally got some results from my research! And they are very, very promising!!! In fact, they are very different from what previous authors have said, but I am able to prove they were actually wrong! So, suddenly, my PhD actually starts to make sense! My supervisor, whom I spoke to today, was also very content with the results. I am now spending a lot of hours at Uni trying to actually finish my (first draft of a) paper about this topic so I can send it to some upcoming conferences. Oh well, I guess I'll see whether or not it is going to work out. Furthermore, I have been doing some work for others as well, and proctered a few exams (why can I not say NO to people, when they ask me for that? Although I did enjoy sending 3 people out of their Macroeconomics exam...).
On Friday, we went out for aperitivo and dancing at Le Trottoir: that was definitely enjoyable. The rest of the weekend, Fedor and I relaxed, did some work and tried whether we could watch the entire Lord of the Rings in one weekend. Unfortunately, I must admit we failed and we still have another 1.5 hours to go... We only managed to finish about 10 hours or so...
Ciao,
OJ

2 comments:

xxxxxxx said...

Today I heard two students in the bus. Female, should that matter. Student #1: "it's such a waste of money, I always buy the books and never read them." Student #2: "Yes, I know, that's why I don't buy books anymore." I guess one of these unread books was about logic.

Those students, kick them out.

But there is more news: I didn't know you have a supervisor now. And is this research of yours AER-worthy?

Best,
Gerwin

Anonymous said...

To be fair, it was my sort-of supervisor (in fact, I thought he was my supervisor, but the guy in question asked me at one point who was my supervisor.... so I am not entirely sure yet). And my research makes short withs (maakt korte metten) with a paper from the American Journal of Political Science: is that good enough?
Ciao