Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Bday, darling

My trip to Holland was not overly successfull. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law didn't manage to give birth in time for me to be able to go and see the newest member of the family, so that was quite disappointing. Instead, I went to see my parents, which was enjoyable too, but seeing the baby would have been better, of course!
Thursday night, I went to see my friends Andrea's house and I stayed overnight in a hotel in Amsterdam. I got "upgraded" to another hotel, but it was still pretty crappy... Why pay 135€ for 2 nights in a hotel that smells completely of hasj, doesn't have an elevator (5th floor), has tiny, tiny, tiny rooms and crappy TV reception? I mean, for that price you can stay 3 nights in a 4-star hotel in Milano!

Anyway, I got up early next day to go to Utrecht, where the conference was taking place. It was good to see some of the people that I haven't spoken to for years (from my old University, mostly). Unfortunately, my presentation wasn't the greatest success: there were some very critical voices who did not like what I did at all! Oh well, at least I got some useful comments and I have some more work to do now...

In the evening I went out with my friend Esther in Amsterdam and actually got a little bit drunk (well, I realised the next day, when I was slightly hung-over... This may also be related to the lack of sleep, however). Saturday, I spent all day travelling to get back to Milano, where Fedor's family was visiting in honour of his birthday. At night we went to an all-inclusive restaurant, where we collectively drank way too much. At home we continued drinking for some more time, but I couldnt tell you what time we finished drinking: it was a lot of fun though... And I think Fedor really enjoyed it, as well...

After a hung-over Sunday, the real world started again on Monday. And it turns out I have somehow been upgraded to sole-responsible for a particular group of students of Macroeconomics (last year's resitters), as well as assisting the professor for the group that I am actually responsible for, so there is a lot of grading to do!!! Slightly inconvenient that answering models for the exams are only available in Italian, but at least I am getting some practice!

Finally, of course we are preparing for Halloween tomorrow! We're going to go to a Halloween party at Caroline's house (Fedor's boss) and I can't wait!!! I will try to remember to bring my camera, so you can enjoy the photos at my next post...

Ciao,
OJ

1 comment:

xxxxxxx said...

Yup, your charms may work on the Italians, but Dutch people remain sour-pissing (azijnzeikend?) critical and will make an elephant out of any bug you may accidentally have left in your dear work. We are sorry for us, but don't take it too harshly.

I misestimated your trip, and thought you would be there two weeks later. No clue where that guess came from, but still. My comment to your previous post thus makes no sense at all, but I guess that holds for most of my comments even if there is no proper cause for the confusion anyway.

Finally, I got stuck paying 130 euro per night for a tiny hotel room in Florence last May, so don't make it look like all is cooky and egg in Italy.