Friday, July 10, 2009

Greece-visitors-cocktails, and all that...

Finally some time to write on the blog. In the past weeks, we have been further decorating the flat (not a lot of work on that account) and working (at least, I have been). I went to Thessaloniki, Greece, for a conference for some days, 2 weeks ago, together with my friend/colleague Cathérine. That was great: the weather was nice, the conference was interesting and the people were a lot of fun!




So that got me all charged up for returning to work with a vengeance afterwards. I have been trying to juggle a whole lot of things, research, proposals, etc etc. Unfortunately, my first proposal I wrote back in April was rejected :-(((( But hey, it was a learning experience!

In the meantime, we have also had our first real visitor coming to stay: our friend Tatiana. She wanted to visit the modern art museum, and therefore came to stay with us. It was nice to see her, but damned, I am NOT into modern art!!! It was pretty awful, in fact.... Oh well, it was a learning experience!

The last weekend, we went to see my brother and his family who are staying in a holidaypark about 75 km north of Berlin. It was nice to be out of the city and to play with the kids and all that. Two days ago, in return, they came to visit us in Berlin! This was great, because my brother, the Handyman he is, was able to help me with some flat reconstruction. in fact, the one thing that bothered me most about our flat was the toilet: it is small, dark and unpleasant. But thanks to my brother's efforts, it now has an absolutely amazing floor and a new toilet. Just wait until the weekend, when I will paint the walls etc, and it will be fantastic!!! I guess that is the positive part from the fact that our friends Jorryt and Lilian are not coming due to a medical emergency..... :´(((((((

Anyways, for the rest there isnt much to comment. Yesterday I taught a class on ethnolinguistic heterogeneity at the Humboldt University, which was actually quite enjoyable (yes, rather surprising indeed). And then we went to go to a Pub Quiz: I LOOOOOOVE pub quizzes!!! Unfortunately, and embarrassingly so, we actually were LAST! Oh well, shit happens. Today, I have been not so well, and have gone to see some doctors. Let's assume everything will be fine (I have 3 kinds of medication already!), I will inform you more about this, later.........

Tschüßi.OJ
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jorryt Nijholt said...

Hey guys,


We are quite sad about missing this weekend. Thankfully my 'pus head' has cleared up a lot (love the drugs from the hospital!! I don't feel a thing). We will make it up soon though.

What about you being ill? Nothing serious I hope?

See you guys soon (hopefully).

Lilian and Jorryt