Sunday, April 05, 2009

Ich bin ein Berliner

Well, that is, I am trying.... And not doing such a bad job, I guess! On Monday, I came to Berlin, where I stayed with my friend Dominik for a few days. From the day I arrived in Berlin (mind you, I am not suggesting causality here), the weather has been great. Sunny and getting progressively warmer (22 degrees yesterday), so I have really enjoyed my first days here. I started work on Wednesday, obviously feeling very nervous about that. But it was totally unnecessary: the colleagues are great and very welcoming. We went out drinking (way too much) on Wednesday night, and really had a good time. It's a cool group of colleagues: all are young, and it's very international (American, Argentinean, Dutch, German, etc). And funnily enough, most of the men working there are gay! I am not sure what the heck that is all about, but it's a pretty funny coincedence...

On Friday, I moved into my new (temporary) place. The appartment is about 60 square meters, and it is in one of the coolest neighbourhoods I have ever seen! All renovated old buildings, looooooooots of bars and restaurants, and many trees and greenery. It's absolutely fantastic! Of course, i am still looking for a permanent flat, but if it could be anything in this area, I would be totally happy! This weekend, I have been looking at some flats, but all of them were pretty shit (one was very cute, but in a pretty terrible area of town, so NO). Oh well, there is no hurry!

Yesterday, I also had a chance to meet up with a friend of mine from Groningen, who happens to be living in Berlin as well. And I went to a big dance party in the Kino International: the old eastern Berlin big Cinema complex. Another great feature of berlin: you can go dancing until 4AM and then take the metro home, because the metros actually go all night!

Anyway, I guess you can see that I am really quite excited about everything. I hope to upload some pictures soon...

Tschüß!
Olaf

2 comments:

xxxxxxx said...

Hi Olaf,

Great to hear that you enjoy your new habitat so much. You're so shiny, that even here the sun has been lighting up our days. Have you heard about the research master reunion in June, and are you going as well? I plan to, should circumstances allow me to.

Best, Gerwin

Esther said...

Hi OJ,
Sounds brilliant! Looks like you're going to have fun the next few years up there. I'll definately will be heading over sometime (once you've settled in and all). Party party party, looks like you really know to pick the best places to work! I won't be able to make it to Milan unfortunately for the farewell party (I'll be in Apeldoorn with Marieke) but I might catch you in The Netherlands somewhere before July? Enjoy Berlin!!!!

Auf wiedersehen,
Esther