Sunday, November 30, 2008

Back from Paris

While Fedor is trying to communicate through Skype in the background, I have time to write something here. The whole Skype thing is pretty random... I know lots of people who use it a lot, and they enjoy it lots, but I have never been able to get into it. Whenever I try to connect, it doesnt work or there is something annoying going on. Skype is simply not my thing. And apparently, this has rubbed off on Fedor, because his communication isnt going very smoothly either....

Anyways, I have spent the last weeks sending more applications, as well as some tutoring and a bit of teaching etc. All in all, it wasnt half-bad! But last week, we went for a trip to the Netherlands, where my brothers and I had organised a surprise sort of party for my mother, who is turning 60. She was indeed surprised (as she should) to see all of us and we had a really good time. It was particularly enjoyable to have to cycle in the snow and walk around in the snow etc....... :-S

Anyways, afterwards, Fedor flew back to Milan and I went to Maastricht, where I was going to go to a conference. I stayed in one of the nicest hotels that I have ever been in (special price, from 200 for 57 euros a night!) and the conference was fairly interesting. I met a few people, and was able to present my paper on education in the Basque region, which I hadnt done often before. On Tuesday, however, directly after my presentation I had to run to catch a train to Paris! Because I had a REAL job interview!!! For the most awesome job EVER at the OECD Development Centre. The interview happened in the afternoon and it went pretty well!!! However, there are a total of 13 candidates, so I am still not giving myself a great chance of making it... But we'll know next week!

After returning, there were again more things that needed to be done, which is fine. But I also received my first interview request for during the ASSA/AEA meetings in San Francisco in January!!!! For a job at the German Institute for Economic Research in Berlin!!! Again, we'll wait to see what's happening!

Anyway, let me just go and try to help Fedor get his skype sorted (btw, we saw Madame Butterfly yesterday in a theatre yesterday and it was great! We also went to Caroline's goodbye party and got a bit drunk: that was great too!!!)

Ciao,
OJ

2 comments:

Esther said...

Wow, exciting! Hope all goes well and you can either move to Paris or Berlin!!!! In both cases I will come over and visit haha. Sounds like you're life is really going well, which is always good. When do you finish your phd/get your doctor title???

xxxxxxx said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

And finishing the PhD is a very physically active phase, as it turned out. Today, I carried eleven boxes with theses up to the second floor in Utrecht. I hope I won't get nightmares over how to get some of these boxes to Groningen at some point.