Saturday, January 24, 2009

6 more days...

... until I have to hand in my dissertation. And yes, I'll be fine. Of course it's not finished yet, but let's be realistic: it'll never ever be truely finished (well, that is, until it's been published in Econometrica or the AER........). Anyways, I'm dotting the i's and something-ing the t's (I dont remember the saying and i'm too lazy to look it up right now. Maybe it's "crossing"?).

Of course there is also the little job-hunting thing going on at the same time, but I'm kinda keeping that on hold for now. Although I did finally hear from the job interview in Paris, back in November: The infamous "there were several very strong candidates, and it was a difficult choice, but we regret to inform you that... blabla". Well, at least I know now, and I'm still proud I was among the last 13. One of the interviews I had in San Francisco also definitively said NO to me, but I have not heard from all yet. This could mean that they are simply not looking anymore, but it could also mean that they have arranged for first-round fly-outs while possibly organising another round if they don't manage to hire anyone among their first-rounders. I don't know, but we'll see!

About the job market, I was in London last week, as well. There was a job market seminar thing going on there, consisting of poster presentations and representatives of different universities going around looking into whom to interview. It was all highly confusing and unpleasant, in all honesty, so I was quite happy when it was over. I spoke to some people, and we'll see whether anything comes of that... It was a nice trip though, anyway, with Fedor (who came with me) being able to meet up with friends and me meeting up with my cousin and lots of friends as well. And it was our first time ever of staying at a Hilton Hotel (hey! It just happened to be the cheapest option nearby...), which was very pleasant. The room may have been tiny, but the AMAZING breakfast compensated for that...

Oh, and it's been my birthday as well in the meantime. We'll be partying the night away on the 30th, when I'll celebrate it together with Felix and i will also celebrate having handed in my dissertation that day......

Ciao,
OJ

1 comment:

xxxxxxx said...

Congratulations on finishing the PhD. Of course, you didn't confirm, but I remember how efficiently you produced your MSc thesis, and you had way less time to do that, so...

Also, sorry I forgot about your birthday. Things are a bit hectic around here, at least they were, due to (a) a deadline for a multi-million grant application, (b) ... what was (b) again??? Oh, sure, my defense, and (c) all of the above again. However, now that I am a Dr., I should be able to rest on my laurels and have a pleasant life (well, no, but it's a nice daydream). When is your defense scheduled?