Wednesday, September 24, 2008

just a few things

I have a new laptop!!! My brother and his wife came over two weeks ago and they brought me a new laptop, after I had finally given up on ever being able to revive the old one, that darn thing. Anyways, the new one is an emachines, so that is a top brand (hence the 399€ price tag).

I also, more importantly, have a new nephew! My other brother's wife gave birth to Ruben yesterday and I am therefore now a quadruple uncle! It also means, I have won my bet in the race between my brother and Fedor's brother, who is also expecting a child one of these days... So that's all great news!

Over the past few weeks, I have been quite busy. There was the not-overly-interesting conference in Copenhagen (at least I managed to meet up with my friend Rasmus) and the oh-so-important Third Year Workshop. But mostly I have been starting the finalisation of my PhD. That is, getting prepared for all the things that are still to be done, such as my oral exams, handing in the dissertation etc. And the most important part of the finalisation of my PhD is, of course, finding a job!

So far, I have sent only a handful or so applications, but I have been preparing for the biggest bunch to be sent late october. This whole application process, though, takes surprisingly much time! All these different places want different documents, different cv styles and of course different cover letters. That way, it seems as if I have to do everything 100 times, even for just 10 applications... Anyway, it keeps me off the streets, I guess!

Something kinda funny:

song chart memes
more music charts

Finally, our little health issues are not improving much. Fedor is officially cured now after his third visit to our family doctor. My situation, however, is not too good yet. After the first visit, I took 5 pills a day, after the second visit, I was taking 14 pills a day and now, after going for the third time this Tuesday, I have a different kind of antibiotics that I take twice a day. And in two weeks, I will go to the hospital..... I'm afraid you'll hear more about this...

Ciao,
OJ

1 comment:

xxxxxxx said...

I hope that all we'll here about the health issues is that there is a cure. Maybe worse than being sick, is not knowing what is wrong.

Congratulations on the quadrupple-uncle thing. You definitively have a productive family. Hasn't this all started less than three years ago?

Good luck on the job market. I know you won't tell us here, but I would be interested to learn which institutions you're considering. I guess Boconni isn't one of them (or have you settled now?).

My defense is planned for Jan. 22nd. I already have approval from the reading committee (with only 4 questions to think about), but as my supervisors are busy and as I don't want to hurry things (why care?) I decided to give myself some (i.e. 2 months) extra time in case things go wrong printing, or so.